Embarking on the Development Journey
Hello everyone! In today's post, I want to share with you the exciting phase of my game development journey: prototyping the core gameplay. I've always believed that at the heart of every great game lies a compelling engagement loop – that magical formula that keeps players coming back. And that's exactly where my focus is right now.
Setting Up for Success
My journey began with setting up the fundamentals: initiating the Unity project, establishing source control, and installing essential plugins for visionOS and PolySpatial development. These initial steps are crucial in laying down a solid foundation for smooth development ahead.
Focusing on Core Gameplay Elements
The main objective at this stage is to capture the essence of fun. This means iterating on the gameplay, even in its most unpolished form, to discover that engaging loop. Here's a rough outline of the elements I plan to work on:
- Defining Blocks: The building blocks of our game, both literally and figuratively. I’ll start by defining their properties and behaviors.
- Creating a Grid of Blocks: This grid will be the main playground for our players, where all the action happens.
- Enabling Block Swapping: I'm working on the mechanics to allow players to swap blocks. Initially, this will be enabled through either mouse, keyboard, or gamepad input, focusing on just one input method for now to streamline development.
- Matching and Disappearing Blocks: Here’s where the strategy comes in. Players will match blocks, and I’ll be developing the sequence in which these blocks disappear, adding a satisfying element to the gameplay.
- Gravity and Block Dynamics: Implementing gravity will make the blocks fall, adding a layer of realism and urgency to the game.
- Continuous Grid Movement: The grid will gradually move up, with new rows of blocks generated at the bottom, adding to the challenge.
- Detecting the Losing Condition: The game will detect when a player is about to lose – specifically, when a new row should be created but there’s no room at the top of the grid.
Next Steps: Incorporating VR and MR Elements
Once the basic gameplay loop is solid and fun, the next step will be to incorporate the unique capabilities of VR and MR. This will elevate the game from a traditional puzzle to a more immersive, interactive experience. I’m excited to explore how spatial computing can enhance the gameplay and bring a new dimension to this classic genre.
Join Me on This Development Adventure
I invite you to follow along as I take these first steps in prototyping. Your feedback and ideas are not just welcome, they're essential. Together, let's create a game that redefines what's possible in the world of VR puzzles.